L.A.S MEDIA HOUSE

Friday 1 August 2014

2 Muslim Clerics Nabbed Selling Human Skulls In Lagos(PICTURED)

File: Nigerian police on duty in Northern
Nigeria
Three suspected human parts dealers,
two of them Islamic clerics, are now
helping police detectives to break the
demand and supply chain of a trans-
border syndicate which trades in human
skulls.
The suspects already arrested in
connection with the illicit trade include
Clement Omodijie as well as two clerics,
Olasukunmi Owolabi and Usman Saliu
who were all arrested by operatives of
the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS,
attached to the Lagos State police
command, Ikeja. The suspects were
nabbed recently when they were about
to supply three human skulls to their
buyers at Ikorodu.
According to police sources, the suspects
alleged that the skulls found in their
possession were sold to herbalists who
in turn claimed that they used them to
prepare concoctions for their sick
customers. They also alleged that some
were sold to customers from across the
country who needed the skulls to
perform rituals.
Of late, several syndicates involved in
human parts have been busted within
Lagos, a development that made the
state Police Commissioner, Umaru
Manko issue a directive to detectives
especially those in SARS to intensify
their searchlight on such illicit trade. This
led to the arrest of the suspects who
were accused of going to the Igbogbo
cemetery in Ikorodu at night to exhume
human skulls.
Looking sober and ready to bare it all,
Omodijie, who works as a grave digger
in the cemetery, pleaded that the only
reason he succumbed to demands for
human skulls was that the buyer,
Owolabi, claimed that he was using the
ground skull to assist barren women to
conceive.
"Owolabi happens to be my friend and
for months, he had requested that I
should assist him with human skulls
instead of setting them ablaze. Initially,
I told him that I do not indulge in such
act but when he explained in details
why he wanted the skulls, I decided to
do his wish.
"Normally, after three months, we will
dig out the skeletons to make space for
others. In Igbogbo cemetery, there are
areas that are not owned by anyone.
It's the general burial ground and it
gets filled up easily. To create a room
for others, we will dig up the skeleton
and cremate it. What I normally do is to
select the bigger ones and throw it
inside the bush without the knowledge
of my colleagues. I will pick them up on
my way home at night", he stated.
He claimed that since he secured the job
five years ago, he had never been
involved himself in the sale of human
skeletons till he met Owolabi. According
to him: "I used to be a block moulder till
I got this job. It was a better alternative
since they were paying me N23,000 a
month. I did not indulge in the act for
financial gain. I was only paid N4,000
which was just given to me by Owolabi
as a way to say thank you. I know that
he is a herbalist and one of my relatives
had once told me that ground skull can
be used to make native medicine
potent."
"Besides, the skeleton belongs to no one
and I felt it was being recycled. Instead
of setting it ablaze, why not dedicate it
for procreation. I really don't know my
crime, why police chose to punish me. I
am innocent. I do not sell fresh corpse
because it is an abomination. It was just
like going to the garbage to select
things that can still be of use and sell
them. If it is a crime, I am sorry. Please,
forgive me and do not allow my
children to suffer unjustly", he pleaded.
Another suspect, Owolabi, who hails
from Oyo State claimed that he learnt
about the potency of human skull two
years ago. His words: "I did my Arabic
studies in Kwara State 13 years ago. I
used to organise prayers for people and
at the end of the day, they will show
appreciation. It could be for business,
child bearing and so many other issues
of life. For those who are sick, I will mix
herbs and roots for them.
In the course of my duty, I travelled to
Kano and Kaduna states. Most of my
colleagues taught me that I could get
better in healing people especially
barren women if I add a little bit of
ground skull to my drugs.
I was reluctant because it is a taboo to
be found with a human skull in Nigeria.
I refused to give it a try but in recent
times, my business started dwindling.
People were no longer coming back for
prayers and some of my colleagues told
me to look for ways to make my drugs
more potent. It was then that I decided
to give it a try."
Determined to boom his business,
Owolabi started sourcing for human
skull. "I decided to make, Omodijie, my
friend. We became good friends and
hanged out severally. It was in one of
our outings that I mentioned the idea to
him. Initially he refused but I was able
to convince him months later that his
secret was safe with me. I knew that his
salary was not much, so I told him that I
will also pay him for his services."
On their arrest, Owolabi lamented that
he never knew that he was wanted by
the police. "I was shocked when the
man who claims to be an Alhaji turned
out to be a policeman. I tried my best
not to mention the name of Omodijie
but when I realised that my captors
were policemen from SARS, I had to tell
them everything they wanted to know.
This was necessary before they will
assume that I am into ritual killing",
Owolabi stated. He also pleaded with
our correspondent that his name should
not be mentioned in this report for fear
of losing customers. "I am telling the
truth. Please, do not publish this story
because my customers will run away",
he begged.
The third suspect, Saliu, who hails from
Ilesha in Osun State, also claims that he
attended an Islamic school where he
learnt Arabic studies.
"I do not believe that human skull can
be used to prepare charms but some of
my colleagues, including Owolabi,
believe in it. I knew that he had access
to human skulls, that was why I
contacted him to help me. I know
colleagues who had demand for it; all I
did was to contact Owolabi. I never
knew that it was a set-up by the police
to arrest us. I am terribly sorry and will
assist the police to find those who I
supplied the skulls to."
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

No comments:

Post a Comment